Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pre diabetes symptoms - scary!

I surf a lot on the web about low carb diets, ketogenic diets, etc. The reason is clear: I need the positive reinforcement (besides the need for information) for continuing a diet that is very often tough, as I love sweets and cookies and chocolate and all those delicious treats. Those treats are my comfort food and it is really hard to be deprived of them. Yesterday was a classic example: I had a dinner with my boyfriend's company and the restaurant had no alternatives for my dessert. And the raspberry sorbet was too tempting. I ate it. I just could not resist, specially with all the wine I drank... So there you have it. I will pay dearly for my sorbet: it takes at least 4 days to go back to normal ketosis, and this means I will have 6-7 days of water retention and inflammation. It will probably show in the weight chart.

But this is not what I intended to discuss in this post. The scary part of the pre-diabetes symptoms is that I looked at them and could immediately recognize my complaints. Even scarier: I raised those complaints to my doctor and she did not do anything. Nobody stopped to check if my insulin levels where normal. I suppose if you do that it is too expensive for the dutch health system, but it is my health we are talking about!
I put the symptoms list below, noting that I took it from the blog Healthy Eating Politics.

  1. Heartburn, especially during sleep; a diagnosis of GERD – Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
  2. Digestive issues. You get frequent stomach aches, and are constantly dealing with gas pain, bloating and stool issues, cycling between diarrhea and constipation.
  3. Headaches and a sore throat that comes and goes.
  4. Breathing issues, especially at night; you may have been diagnosed with sleep apnea.
  5. Dizzy spells, and a feeling of being lightheaded sometimes, especially after having sweets. (This indicates reactive hypoglycemia.)
  6. Unexplained weight gain. Your eating habits haven't changed, but suddenly you've put on 10 pounds. In addition, you are having difficulty losing it, even when you exercise and eat less.
  7. Blurred vision that seems to be worsening, and trouble seeing at night.
  8. A constant feeling of being tired. No matter how much you sleep, or exercise to gain strength, you feel fatigued.
  9. Frequent bouts of depression for no reason. You’ll be fine, and then you feel sad all of a sudden, without any cause.
  10. Constant joint aches, and muscle and joint stiffness when you wake up in the morning. You may even have been diagnosed with some form of arthritis.
  11. Your feet burn and your toes feel numb when you stand for long periods of time.
  12. Swollen ankles, and a general feeling of puffiness or water retention, especially if you sit for long periods of time.
  13. If you don’t eat, you get really grumpy. You may also feel nauseous and shaky.
  14. Waking up in middle of the night with your heart pounding. Often you also feel nauseated or cold. It happens more often if you've been eating high sugar meals. This again indicates hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.
  15. Constant hunger, no matter how much you eat. You often think, "How can I be hungry? I just ate!"
  16. Frequent yeast infections, and cuts or bruises you get don’t seem to heal quickly.
  17. After every meal, you really crave something sweet, even if you are already feeling full.
  18. You have elevated blood pressure and blood tests indicate you have high triglyceride levels, and low HDL cholesterol levels.
  19. The dentist tells you that have gingivitis, even though you brush and floss every day. You often wake up with a nasty taste in your mouth, even though you brush before bed.
  20. A groggy, sleepy feeling after meals, even when you have plenty of rest. You may have been embarrassed because you fell asleep at your desk at work, or during a meeting. 
How many of these symptoms did I have? (note the past tense): 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 and 20. I had a "yes" for 15 of these symptoms. You only need 4 or 5 "yes" to suspect you are becoming a diabetic.
Right now, after starting with the LCHF diet I can say that the symptoms have almost all disappeared (except one or two). But it came from me, the doctor did nothing to help me. It is infuriating. The worse part is that I told the doctor that my parents are diabetic and I had more danger for such a problem. I was ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment