Sunday, February 17, 2013

LCHF diet week 6: La carne es débil

This last week I had a bout of rebelliousness: on Tuesday I could not resist anymore and ate a lot of chocolate cookies. Unwisely I had bought those cookies before starting the diet, simply because I could (they are difficult-to-get lactose free German cookies). So they have been sitting on a box on plain sight for a whole month, and somehow I had this huge craving for cookies and went for it. The problem is that I would not get happy with one or two cookies, I just cannot resist to eat till I am buzzing with the sugar rush, and two-thirds of the package has disappeared.
What was interesting was the effect it had on me: on the day I felt really stuffed (no dinner) but in the unpleasant way when you eat way too much. I remember feeling like that all the time before the LCHF diet. I also felt guilty, as I knew I would stop ketosis for a while.
On the following day I felt literally sick. I had stomach cramps, sluggishness, diarrhea. I felt bloated and sick for a couple of days. But the most interesting was the tiredness I felt. I came home exhausted (as I used to), I went to the couch, I didn't move for the rest of the evening (like I used to). I also started feeling depressed, numb. This regression got my weight to increase accordingly, I accumulated water and stopped the fat-burning process, so my weight went to 73.5 kg.
Fortunately I went back to the LCHF diet and all this horrible symptoms disappeared in a few days. But the lesson is learned: any sugar (at this point) and I pay dearly. It does make it easier to resist the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment