Saturday, February 9, 2013

Colds, flu, running nose

After I started this diet I have been ill with colds more than usual. I was wondering why (and if it is healthy at all to follow this diet) until I found the following paragraph in the site of a fellow low carb diet follower:

Around this time, I caught the flu, and developed a really serious case of chest congestion. I hadn't been that sick in a long time, and it scared me into figuring out why. My thought was "wait a second, I eat really well, why am I so sick?"
So I did some research, and found out Vitamin D was essential for respiratory health, so I had my vitamin D levels checked. My levels were super low - a measly 27. Normal is between 50-100. Not surprising since I live in Wyoming, where we have Winter 10 months out of the year, but not good.
Having read how beneficial it is for so many body systems, I started a program to get my vitamin D levels up. I started taking 5000 IU a day and then checked it again several months later. It was better, but still only at 31. So I upped my daily intake to 10,000 IU. I felt even better at this point. Last time I had it checked, my vitamin D level was at 76, and I rarely get colds any more. So, one more puzzle piece fell into place. 

I started taking more vitamin D and walks in the sun now, and I feel better and less asthmatic. I did not have my vitamin D checked. I don't think the doctor would help me with this anyways...

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I've been reading your blog today as it relates to what I am going through at the moment. Your Vitamin D should fix itself because of the LCHF diet. Not being flooded by insulin should allow the Vitamin to be more easily extracted from the skin tissue. Anyway, I hope you're still keeping the good diet up. If you are feeling sick, ask the doctor for a blood test and do your own analysis from the results.

    ReplyDelete