Saturday, March 9, 2013

Are *** allowed in the LCHF diet?

The questions are many...
Can I eat peas in the LCHF diet?
Can I eat beets?
Can I eat carrots?
......

Whenever I have a doubt I check Fineli, a fabulous site that tells me how many carbs (average, of course) each food has. For example, peas have 9.4% carbs (per weight), beetroot 6.9% ,carrots have 5.6%, tomato 3.5%, and boiled potatoes without skin have 15.5% carbs.
To decide if to eat or not a particular food type, you have to decide where do you draw the line. At 5%? At 3%? I think this requires trial and error for each person, for we are not all equal.
I draw the line at 5%, otherwise the choice of food is really limited. I bought myself a pack of ketostix and monitor the ketone amount of my body if I eat something I believe would get me out of ketosis and adjust 'dosage' accordingly. Also I suppose it depends on the carb content of the meal as a whole (you may add like 1 potato to the whole food and perhaps is fine), and interplays of the foods on each other. What I refuse to do is to monitor hysterically each food I consume. I just have a vague idea of what is not good for me and keep to that. For example I don't put potatoes in the food, or carrots, just because it is easy to go overboard.
The thing this diet has taught me is to listen to my body more. Do I feel well? Do I crave something? Why can that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment