Sunday, January 27, 2013

First week on the LCHF diet

So I searched the Internet for the LCHF diet. I found the site of Andreas Eenfeldt. I read the dietary guidelines: cut the carbs (no sugar, no fake sugar, no pasta, bread, rice, potatoes). No starch. Eat meats in moderate amounts (no huge steaks), eat veggies like cauliflower and broccoli, salad, tomatoes, etc. Eat eggs. Add fat to food to make it "filling". What fat? Butter, cream, animal fat and the usual: olive oil, avocado, etc. Don't touch margarine. I decided to give it a try. It became "my new year's resolution".
The first advice is to clean the pantry. I took all the grains, pasta and bread out. The pantry became virtually empty. I was amazed at the amount of sugar and carbs we ate on a regular basis.
The first days were tough. I had sugar withdrawal symptoms. I spent the whole day thinking of chocolate, cookies, ice-cream. I curbed it eating nuts and chewing sugar-free chewing gum. Not the best, but I was desperate. On the third day I became very ill. Nothing related to the diet, it was a cold I had caught before. I decided to keep on going. I harassed my poor boyfriend (that is joining me on the diet, sweet guy) to make some food for me. We were still fat-phobic and a stir-fry of veggies is actually not very filling. I had huge pieces of salmon. I had fever also, and was sweating a lot. I was constantly thirsty. I went to the toilet a lot.
After 10 days on the diet, and a week being ill, I finally was healthy again. I weighted myself. I could not believe my eyes when the scale showed that I had gone 5 (yes, five!) kilos down. Mostly water I grant you, but it is a LOT OF WEIGHT. I started crying. I weighted myself many times, I just could not believe it. I was on 75 kg then.
That weekend I went to a party. People commented on my weight loss. I looked slimmer. I was radiantly happy. Also proved that it was not my imagination...
I don't know what made it so staggering. I have many theories. I suppose the truth is in between. I think I had a huge inflammation, getting bloated beyond belief when I started. And being ill "helped" as the body had to spend a lot of energy getting well again. And the water loss was probably even stronger, as I was sweating so much.
I am avidly reading all I can find about sugar and carbs (I bought a book by Dr. R. Ludwig that looks promising). Also I want to know why the carbs where making me so bloated.
Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment